(1) Coordinate overall urban-rural transportation planning, transportation infrastructure construction, and transportation management.
(2) Carry out the national guidelines, policies and regulations on the development of the transportation industry and national defense transportation; formulate and implement Guiyang's development strategies on highway and waterway transportation; supervise and assess the implementation of the municipal road traffic plan.
(3) Draft comprehensive transportation development plans and special transportation plans (including those for urban public transportation, comprehensive transportation junctions, rail transportation, public transit networks, passenger and freight stations, parking lots, gas and charging stations, and related matters), and submit the plans for approval in accordance with procedures; undertake urban traffic planning study and management; review reports on the effect of construction projects on traffic; draft and supervise the implementation of the development plans, medium and long-term plans and annual plans on highway and waterway transportation; undertake transportation statistics and information construction, and logistics support for wars. Formulate and implement the municipal road traffic plan, supervise and manage urban parking lots; guarantee smooth traffic circulation, formulate and implement plans on road network optimization, transport capacity guarantees, measures on traffic organization improvement, and traffic organization plans for holidays.
(4) Comprehensively analyze the traffic and development trends of transportation (including urban rail transit, railways, highways, civil aviation, water transportation and urban public transportation), formulate transportation development strategies, arrange major projects, and coordinate major issues. Plan, construct, manage, and release information on intelligent transportation and transportation informatization. Manage the rail transit industry; draft and supervise the implementation of relevant policies, standards and regulations for urban rail transit management; manage the franchising of urban rail transit; file operation projects in safety protection areas of rail transit; coordinate preliminary work of urban rail transit projects, formulate project implementation plans and construction schedules; coordinate railway projects in the city, plan and construct local supporting transportation facilities; and supervise the safe operations of rail transit. Guide the reform of the transportation industry; cultivate and manage the transportation market and the transportation infrastructure market, make highway and waterway transportation enterprises compete on an equal footing; regulate the city's transportation capacity; optimize the structure of the transportation industry to achieve coordinated development; give full play to the function and role of the transportation industry association. Participate in the formulation and implementation of the city’s modern logistics development plans, policies and measures.
(5) Manage passenger and freight transportation on urban and rural roads and waterways (including passenger transportation by car and tourist transportation, car rentals, special material transportation, urban public transportation and taxis); ensure the safe operations of road and waterway transportation; regulate the transportation of major materials and emergency passenger and freight transportation.
(6) Construct and maintain municipal roads and waterways, conduct project quality and safety supervision, and cost management. Organize the management of transportation infrastructure, municipal key highways and waterways, and passenger and freight transportation stations.
(7) Undertake the technical review on the preliminary design of urban transportation infrastructure construction projects.
(8) Manage the city's automobile maintenance markets and driving schools; supervise testing of performances of automobiles.
(9) Undertake harbor and shipping supervision, ship surveys, crew training and assessment, transportation safety management and ship maintenance market management.
(10) Draft special laws and regulations; supervision the administrative law enforcement on the city's traffic and national defense traffic.
(11) Implement industrial science and technology development plans and technical and economic policies; supervise the implementation of technical standards and norms; tackle key problems in transportation infrastructure projects and promote results, introduce and innovate major technologies.
(12) Promote use of foreign capital and international cooperation and exchanges on transportation; manage related matters involving cooperation between the city's highways, waterways and international organizations.
(13) Put forward suggestions on the layout of the city's national defense traffic network; draw up the city's national defense traffic support plan; ensure the transportation of military reserves, professional logistics support teams and field medical teams during wartime; participate in traffic support and rescue and disaster relief; prepare the city's defense traffic material plan; deploy military reserves; supervise the storage and update of military reserves; ensure the safety of areas in which debris of dead satellites and rockets is located and organize its recovery.
(14) Undertake other tasks assigned by the CPC municipal Party committee, the municipal people's government and higher-level departments.